“Gym Fundraising Gala”

Kailan Chang and Jenna Albaroudi

The Canyon High School Foundation , formerly known as the Canyon Education Foundation, was started in 2009 as a non-governmental, nonprofit corporation that raises money to close the gap in State/District funding and is comprised of alumni, business leaders, parents,  and educators.

Last year, the Canyon High School Foundation launched their largest funding project to date: a Fund A Need project that plans to raise $800,000 to renovate the Canyon High School gym. When the goal is reached, the gym will receive a new coat of paint, upgraded equipment, ADA compliant bleachers, and new wood flooring. So far, the foundation raised over $23,000 from participating in the City of Anaheim Fireworks program over the summer and raised another $25,000 from their annual Hall of Fame Gala.

The Hall of Fame is annually organized by the Canyon Athletics Department and the Canyon High School Foundation as a way to honor individuals- students, athletes, and faculty alike- that significantly contributed to Canyon High School and to maintain the rich heritage and tradition of successful programs at Canyon.

According to Amy Case, a parent who is in the Canyon High School Foundation this year, the gala will be hosted on March 24, at the Yorba Linda Country Club. This year’s proceeds will also benefit the gym.

Nominations for the 2018 Hall of Fame nominations can include past students, athletes, teachers, community members, or staff members. To help raise even more money, the Canyon High School Foundation introduced a new year-round fundraiser by selling Canyon Spirit Wear and Canyon Yard Signs.

Currently, the foundation is also looking for corporate sponsors, foundation grants, and individual donors to help reach their fundraising goal, as well as parents and community members that are interested to help.  With a little luck and a lot of participation, the Canyon High School Foundation will hopefully raise enough money to restore the gym to its former glory.

*Previously this article had stated that the fundraising goal was $80,000, this was inaccurate and updated to $800,000*