Canyon Volleyball CIF

Canyon High School defeated Redondo Union High School on Tuesday by a score of 3-0. It was the first round of CIF and was Canyon volleyballs first CIF win in over 4 years. Canyon won the first set with a score of 25-19. The team’s execution was flawless, attempting to move the ball and run to the middle. Canyon won the second set with a score of 25-23. The second set was very intense as Redondo had a big lead of 23-18, but Canyon retaliated scoring seven straight points and winning the set.

Canyon won the third and final set with a score of 26-24. Canyon started the final set very slow, but started firing towards the end. The set was very intense till the very end, and the final point was scored by senior Josh Lloyd. The Comanches are currently on a six game winning streak, all of which have been won by a score of 3-0. The season has so far been very entertaining, with a lot of exciting moments. The team had a rocky start, but the season has ended  on a really high note with the team winning 21 out of their last 22 games. The Comanches were led by senior Astin Sesoko, an outside hitter who has been apart of the Varsity program since his freshman year. Tuesday’s win was Sesoko’s first CIF playoff win of his entire volleyball tenure. Sesoko is attending the University of Springfield and is going on a full ride scholarship. Smoke Signals interviewed Sesoko about his season and the game. Sesoko said, “We’ve had a great season this year and are trying to continue our success. The game was very intense, we have a lot of momentum right now and we have to do is carry it on to next game.” The Comanches record is 25-4, and their next game is against Corona Del Mar at Canyon High School for the second round of the CIF playoffs.