Love, Nick

As my senior year is coming to a close soon, I’ve been doing a lot of reflecting on my years here at Canyon. Throughout my four years of high school, I’ve learned a lot about myself and met many extraordinary people. I had the pleasure of having teachers and friends who understood me and stuck by me through it all. However, during my freshman year I was still figuring out who my true friends were. I recall the first day of high school. I felt nervous but optimistic. It was so strange to see so many unfamiliar faces around campus. Right away, I knew that high school was going to be much different than middle school. I made an effort to make new friends, but the relationships felt forced. That all changed when I joined art class. I instantly found a friend named Sarah, who was a grade ahead of me. Sarah was always very supportive and understanding of me when I was going through hard times. She was someone who could actually relate to me and understand what it was like to feel like an outsider. My art teacher was also very supportive of me and saw potential in me that I didn’t see.  

I had art sixth period and it was one of the main reasons that I enjoyed coming to school. During this time, I also met my very close friend, Mallory, who was introduced to me by my friend Veronica, who I’d known since first grade. Both Mallory and Veronica have been very supportive of me over the past four years. I was starting to enjoy high school much more than middle school. Although my freshman year was overall positive, I struggled with a lot of insecurities. I often felt unsure of myself and doubted my abilities. Another struggle for me during my freshman year was having to wear a brace and cast most of the year, due to a surgery to correct my club foot. It was hard for me to stay mobile and active, which began to make me feel frustrated. I eventually got my cast and my brace off and began participating in physical therapy. Luckily, I had the support of my teachers, family, and friends throughout the year whenever I was going through hard times.    

Going into my sophomore year, I was ready to have a successful year. I started to make friends with a girl named Alexis during PE, and we instantly became close. It was also the year I met one of my best friends, Sammy, during auditions for Into the Woods. I really enjoyed my English class; my English teacher always comforted me if I was having a bad day. My sophomore year was my first year in the drama department. I was really shy when I first started the class, but as time went on, I opened up more and began to make amazing friends.  The highlight of my sophomore year was getting to perform in the winter and spring one acts. It was a great experience to work with such creative and passionate people. I will cherish the friendships I made with my casts forever.

At the start of my junior year, I felt excited because I was finally considered an upperclassman. I got classes that I really enjoyed, including theatre. I was starting to make more friends in the new classes I had and became close with them. It was my first and only year that I had choir, which was a great experience. Although I had trouble reading music, I still highly enjoyed the class and the friends I made. It was very surreal to perform in choir concerts and hear the loud applause of the crowd. While my junior year was mostly a success, I struggled with a lot of anxiety and depression. I began to miss a lot of school and get behind on school work. My depression and anxiety got so bad that I had no choice but to pick myself up and be strong. I started to take medication that worked better for me and started to see a therapist. Even though my junior year was filled with lots of hardships, I was determined to make my senior year my best year yet.

When senior year came around, I was prepared to make it a great last year. It was hard to fathom that it was my final year of high school. I joined journalism for the first time and started to become friends with the other writers and editors. It was really great to make friends with people who understood me and shared similar interests as me. Writing is one of my passions and journalism gave me the opportunity to write about topics that are close to my heart. During my senior year, I also got to experience going to a Jingle Ball concert and seeing Taylor Swift live.

Near the middle of my senior year, I registered for Fullerton College. I hope to stay at Fullerton College for 2 years, then transfer to a UC or a Cal State school. I want to become a journalist or a teacher for elementary school students. Now it is June, and graduation is just around the corner. 

My senior prom was one that I will look back on for years to come. Across my four years here at Canyon, I’ve grown so much and have had amazing experiences with people that will always hold a special place in my heart. High school taught me to be my own person and to not try and fit in with the crowd. Over time, I realized that it is important to be authentic to who I am and to not try and be something I’m not. I’ve learned that I hold the pen to my own story and no one else does.

will never forget my teachers who kept me motivated and my family who always encouraged me to do well in school. I will use the knowledge I’ve learned at Canyon and use it to help teach others. I will never forget all the wonderful memories I’ve had throughout high school.