The Student News Site of Canyon High School

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

‘You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah’

A review and recommendation of the 2023 movie: ‘You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah’
Courtesy of Netflix Media Center

‘You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah’ is a movie that tells the story of a young girl named Stacy who is preparing to have an epic Bat Mitzvah with her BFF Lydia. Things start to get complicated when a popular boy and middle school drama threatens their friendship.

This movie is one of those movies that is extremely awkward at moments but truly shows the complexity of navigating friendships, relationships, and growing up. As a teenage girl, not fully knowing wrong from right can have a great effect on relationships and may be frustrating at times. It’s not always portrayed accurately, but in this movie, I saw myself in Stacy’s character and her relationship with Lydia. I liked how they didn’t make any of them perfect and showed how petty teenage girl relationships can be sometimes. 

I felt like having a lot of similarities with both of the girls lured me in and kept me engaged, in comparison to some of the other coming-of-age movies I’ve watched which make all the people act like very basic stereotypical teenagers versus this movie which shows the individuality of how different people react to different things and take time to process stuff. 

One thing that stood out to me during the movie was the showing of her relationship with her family. Looking into Stacy’s family life we can infer that she feels like her parents just don’t get it, which is a common teenage experience. Another thing that stood out to me is how quickly Lydia betrayed Stacy when everyone was making fun of her at the lake instead of defending her. This detail added another layer because sometimes people feel obligated to fit in so they do stuff they wouldn’t normally do just so they can fit in which just shows another way this story is a really good representation of being a teenager.

If you liked this movie here are some more I think you would enjoy!

-The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)

-Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret (2023)

-Turning Red (2022)

– Dumplin’  (2018)

– The Edge Of Seventeen (2016)

– Paper Towns (2015)

– Lady Bird (2017)