The Student News Site of Canyon High School

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

What are the latest fashion trends?

Fashion has been in our society for years and years. It was believed that fashion designing began in the 19th century by a man named Charles Frederick Worth. Ever since then, fashion has evolved overtime.
Courtesy of Vogue
  • For example, over the centuries we went from Hollywood Glamour Girls to a Disco Fever era. Currently, some people could argue that 2023’s fashion is a “90’s Revival” or “Airy styling” Here are some of the popular fashion trends and why people wear these items. 

1. Baggy Jeans

Baggy jeans were very popularized in the 90’s and now are an everyday wear for some people. Baggy jeans give a slouchy, comfy look. It’s also inclusive and looks good with anything. 

1. Cargo Pants 

Cargo pants were very popular during the early 2000’s. They fall under the clothing category of Y2K. People tend to like the more oversized fit because it’s a nice fit. People also like cargo pants because they provide pockets on the side of the pants. 

1. Oversized Sweatshirts/Hoodies

Sweatshirts gained popularity in the 1920’s-1930’s and hoodies got popular in the 70’s. Having an oversized sweatshirt or hoodie is essential because it is comfortable and freeing. 

1. High top Converse/Platform Converse

Converse were popular in a lot of time periods. For example, they were popular in the 60’s, 80’s, 90’s, and the 2000’s. Owning a lot of Converse myself, I think they go with any clothing piece you have. Jeans, dresses, skirts, etc. 

1. Flared Leggings

Flared leggings are a must because they’re comfy and cute. Flared leggings started gaining popularity in the mid 60’s. Although leggings are mainly used for workouts, having them for outside wear is super cute as well!

1. Crocs

Crocs became popular after their debut in 2002. Crocs seem to be a very controversial shoe because the design is different. But people still love it nonetheless because it’s very comfortable and sturdy at the same time.

1. Low-rise Jeans

Low rise jeans are making a comeback in 2023. Low-rise jeans became popular in the early 2000’s. Wearing these is making a bold and daring statement because they’re harder to pull off.

1. Plaid Pajama Pants

Plaid pajama pants became popular over the past few years. They’re comfortable, cozy, and perfect for sleepwear. But some people also like to wear it outside because they’re cute to wear inside and outside.

1. Baby Tees

Baby tees have been around since the 90’s and are making a comeback. A popular outfit choice is called “big pants, little shirt” combination. This combination consists of baggy pants with a baby tee. Baby tees can also go with anything else because it’s basic. 

1. Parachute Pants

Parachute pants have been around since the 70’s but began getting popular in the 80’s. They have a baggy look to them and they’re also very light in material. It’s also nice to be able to adjust the string to your liking. 

2023’s fashion has been a mix of many different fashion trends from the 60’s to the 90’s. Overtime, fashion has evolved and will continue to. Who knows what the next fashion trend will be?