The Student News Site of Canyon High School

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

2023 Halloween Costumes

Pop culture, familiar favorites, and a new face in the top spot!
Photo Courtesy of Pexels

It’s late October and people all around are right in the thick of the Halloween spirit. Have you thought about what you’re doing for Halloween yet, or are you waiting until the last minute? Let’s take a look at what costume choices are the most popular this year.

There have been many significant trends and pop culture moments this year, and they’re reflected in people’s spooky preparations. According to Katy Kline of npr.org, “Consumers are dropping more money than ever on Halloween, with this year’s total Halloween spending expected to reach a record $12.2 billion, according to the National Retail Federation. That figure is almost $2 billion more than the $10.6 billion people spent on the holiday in 2022.” 

A website known as GoogleFrightGeist.com shows us the top costume searches on a national scale. Coming in at #1, it’s no surprise that Barbie is a hot choice this year. The Barbie movie was the highest-grossing movie of 2023, with so many people coming together and dressing up for the fun. Now, people get a chance to relive that with Barbie-inspired Halloween costumes! — Barbie has taken the top spot for most searched Halloween costumes this year after not even appearing in the top 10 previously, surpassing common favorites like witches, fairies, or princesses. Barbie and Ken also make for a great couple’s costume, making the theme fun for anyone.

Spider-Man sits comfortably at the #3 spot, a popular choice with kids every year. However, the superhero has had more relevance this year with the release of Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse in June. The Super Mario Bros movie was another film that reignited an already-loved franchise. Expect to see lots of Mario and Luigi duos, as well as Princess Peach who comes up at #13 on Frightgeist.

The top 5 costume searches aren’t too different around the country, with our local top 5 being Barbie, princess, Spider-Man, cowboy, and bunny. With Halloween right around the corner, if you want to go as any of these popular costumes, you better act fast before you’re stuck as a boring sheet ghost!