The Student News Site of Canyon High School

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Operation Christmas Child

How You Can Help Those In Need
Courtesy of www.samaritanspurse.org
Courtesy of www.samaritanspurse.org

Operation Christmas Child or Samaritan’s purse, as it is also known, is based on a story in the Bible. It is based on the story of The Good Samaritan (Luke 10:30-37). In this story a man is beaten and attacked and left to die on the side of the road by robbers. A priest and a Levite pass by him and do nothing. Then, a Samaritan walks by and helps the man. He gives care to the man’s wounds. He even lets the man ride on his own animal to an inn. He then tells the people in the inn to take care of him and he will repay the inn with anything they spend. The point of the parable is that one should show compassion and kindness to everyone regardless of their cultural or social differences.

Samaritan’s purse was founded by Bob Pierce. After World War II, he traveled around Asia and saw how some women were living with orphans and lepers sharing the love of God. He then dedicated his life to helping other Christians care for people in need around the world. For forty years, the organization has traveled to many different countries and helped many people in need. 

Samaritan’s Purse’s mission is to produce spiritual and physical aid to victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine. They share God’s love through this. Operation Christmas Child sends a shoebox of toys, toiletries, school supplies, and any other necessities for a child to a child in need around the world. This is a way to spread joy and God’s love to children all around the world who may not receive anything but these shoeboxes. 

This organization is a great one and I recommend donating to them. Canyon is even partnering with them. All week (12/3-12/8) Canyon is doing a toy drive for Operation Christmas Child. You can donate by dropping off toys in your second-period class. Each toy needs to be able to fit in a shoebox. They accept school supplies, toys, and even toiletries. There are more details on their website and @chstribe on Instagram.