The Student News Site of Canyon High School

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Red Cross Blood Drive

Donate to the first blood drive of the 2024 school year!
Courtesy of @canyonhsredcross on Instagram

Blood drives are important to save lives all across the U.S. Every two seconds, someone in America needs a blood transplant. One donation can save more than one life, and it will only take a few minutes to do. Whether it’s accident or burn victims, cancer patients, or heart surgery or transplant patients, donated blood is vital to the survival of all types of people. 

According to redcrossblood.org, each year, 29,000 units of blood are needed in the U.S daily. A single car accident victim can require up to 100 units of blood, and there are almost 20,000 car crashes in the U.S. daily. Sickle cell disease is a group of disorders causing a person’s red blood cells to break down. Over 90,000 people are diagnosed with sickle cell disease annually, and patients with this disease require blood transplants throughout their lives. On January 25th, 2024, the Red Cross Club is holding a blood drive in the MPR. So, if you are over the age of 16, consider donating blood as it would be extremely helpful and could save lives. If you are 16 or 17 years old, you need to get a consent form from the student center for a parent or guardian to sign. If you are 18 or older, it is not necessary to get a consent form signed. Alongside helping others with the donation of your blood, there are many other benefits such as free snacks and drinks, vouchers, and gift cards. Additionally, you also get to miss an odd period class of your choice. If you are a member of the Red Cross Club, you will also gain 10 VCN hours. If you decide to participate, you must fill out this form to let your teacher know. However, there are weight and height restrictions. Both male and female patients must weigh at least 110 pounds to be eligible to donate, but it may be higher depending on your personal height and sex. View the image within this article to see if you qualify to donate blood. Overall, blood drives are extremely important in preserving the lives of thousands each day, and with your help, we can attain that.