The Student News Site of Canyon High School

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Another Year of the “New Year, New Me” Cliche

After three weeks of 2024, how committed are people still to their New Year’s resolutions? These are some of the most common ones, the usual time it takes for people to break them, and the reasons why so many do.
Courtesy of Reclaim U Counseling

At the start of every year, millions of people ponder what to make their New Year’s resolution. Creating these goals, that will hopefully be accomplished by the end of the year, allows people to reflect on themselves and refocus their lives. Whether you believe in them and their effectiveness or not, resolutions can provide clarity for goals, and writing them down gives people direction. All in all, these resolutions shoot to plan your course for the future. Unfortunately, although the idea is great, many start off strong but struggle to follow through to the end of the year. 

In a poll done by Statista with 417 respondents ranging from ages 18-64 years old, America’s top New Year’s resolutions for 2024 were to save more money (59%), exercise more (50%), eat healthier (47%), spend more time with family and friends (40%), lose weight (35%), reduce spendings on living expenses (26%), spend less time on social media (19%), and to reduce stress on the job (19%). According to Forbes’ New Year’s Resolutions Statistics of 2024, the poll found that the average resolution lasts just 3.74 months. It additionally reported that 8% of respondents stick with their goals for one month, 22% last two months, 22% last three months, and only 13% last four months. With these disappointing percentages, it’s clear that the looks of keeping up with these resolutions aren’t too promising.

People’s success rate of completing their goals are so low due to a couple of reasons. One is the idea that people think too big, making the task of keeping their resolutions overwhelming and unachievable. Another big reason for failed resolutions is that people don’t consider the ‘why’ behind them. Making New Year’s resolutions have become a sort of expectation in today’s society. The idea of bettering yourself and lifestyle has become a glorified feat and one that many strive to emulate without truly wanting it for themselves or thinking about the effort it’s going to take in reality. The last main reason for failed New Year’s resolutions is the fact that many are not ready for change, and therefore are not very committed to their goals in the first place. 

While taking everything into consideration when making your resolutions, it’s important to ask yourself two things. One, if your goal is something that’s attainable and two, especially, if it’s something you actually want. If you wholeheartedly think “yes” to both questions, I would say you’re already halfway through completing the year-long challenge.