The Student News Site of Canyon High School

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

The Stanley Cup Craze

What are Stanley Cups and Why Have They Recently Gained Popularity?
Courtesy of Yahoo Finance

If you’ve spent any time on social media or even looked around school lately, you’ll notice a certain reusable tumbler that’s taken the world by storm. You may remember a few years back when Hydro Flasks were all the rage, but what happened to them? Hydro Flask water bottles peaked in popularity in the late 2010s with the era of the VSCO girl. The Yeti also had its time, being something I used often myself.

The company was founded in 1913 and for many years marketed its products primarily to men, with limited colors and rugged, outdoorsy advertising. However, the Stanley Quencher gained its popularity primarily from The Buy Guide and later in the past year on TikTok. Pretty pastel colors and marketing changes have made the Stanley a staple item — But what exactly is so great about it?

There are tons of water bottle brands out there, and there really isn’t much difference between them. All of them use the same kind of air-tight insulation to keep your drink cold or warm, with companies constantly comparing numbers, but do you really need to be drinking the same water for two days? At the end of the day it’s not about quality, but rather the novelty and sense of community that people feel when they buy the next trendy item in their favorite color.

Although it seems silly, as far as trends go, staying hydrated isn’t bad. However there will always be those who take things a little too far. On January 3rd of this year, Stanley released a collaboration with Starbucks at Target. Many people showed up before opening and even camped out overnight outside the store. Videos show the cups gone within minutes of opening. Some fans also are known to collect the cups in many colors and display them, defeating the entire purpose of a reusable cup with overconsumption. Recently, a woman was even arrested for having 65 stolen Stanley tumblers in her car, worth nearly $2,500.

Overall, the Stanley trend is nothing harmful on its own, but has recently taken a turn into obsession by some. It won’t be long before the next big item is everywhere.