The Student News Site of Canyon High School

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Why Do We Need Sleep?

A Guide to Improving Sleep Quality
Courtesy of Healthline

You come home from a long day of school. You do your homework, you get ready for the next day, and then before you know it, it’s now night time and it’s time for bed. You might not think much about sleeping and the significance of it, but sleep is a lot more necessary than you think. 

While you sleep, your body is working hard to support a healthy brain function and is also working to maintain your physical health. Sleep also helps children and teens support growth and development. Not getting enough sleep over time can affect your health and cause you to have some long term health conflicts. Also, without sleep, humans aren’t able to form pathways in your brain that allow you to learn and create new memories. Therefore, it may be difficult to concentrate and respond quickly. 

Some people might not have the best sleep schedule. Some ways to improve that is to have a consistent time to go to bed and getting up every day. Make sure your bedroom is quiet, dark, and comfortable to help fall asleep faster. Listening to relaxing music, or reading a book can also help you fall asleep quicker. A popular method that can also help you sleep is listening to ASMR or white noise. 

ASMR stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response; which is a term used to describe a tingling, goosebump feeling in response to a triggering audio or visual stimuli. These sensations spread across your skull or down the back of your neck, and maybe for some others, down the spine or limbs. According to Sleep Foundation, studies have shown that ASMR triggers feelings of relaxation and satisfaction. As a result, this can increase hormones such as dopamine and oxytocin. There are many different types of ASMR all over the internet that can help improve your sleep. 

White noise can also help with sleep. It blocks out external noise that prevents you from getting the sleep you need. White noise is known to be the most popular type of color noise. According to WebMD, studies have shown that white noise can help with improving sleep, reduces crying in babies, improves work performance, and it lowers ADHD symptoms. There’s also pink noise, brown noise, blue noise, and many different colors of noise that can help you get more sleep.