The Student News Site of Canyon High School

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

A Good Girl’s Guide To Murder by Holly Jackson Book Review

Is it really worth the hype?
Courtesy of Amazon

All of the people recommended this book to me. I also would see this book all over social media. Most of the reviews I saw raved about how good this book was. I didn’t see many negative reviews. I had pretty high expectations going into this book. 

This story takes place in the fictional town of Fairview, Connecticut. This book is told in third person limited, centering around the main character Pippa Fitz-Amobi. Pippa (nicknamed Pip) is a high school senior. Each senior at her school must complete a Capstone Project. A Capstone Project is a senior thesis worked on independently of normal classes. Pip decides to do her project on a missing persons case from a high school senior named Andie Bell. It is suspected that Andie was murdered by her boyfriend, Sal Singh, and that after he killed himself. Five years later, Pip investigates the case because she doesn’t believe Sal killed Andie. She enlists the help of Sal’s younger 20-year-old brother Ravi to help her. Together they dig up clues, their main goal being to prove Sal is innocent. They soon find many secrets and might be able to prove his innocence. Then Pip starts getting threats saying to stop investigating. 

There were many twists and turns that kept me guessing. I have to say the last plot twist was really good. I would say overall this book is worth the hype. I read it very fast and it was so hard to put down. At first, I thought this book would be very cheesy and easy to predict. Even though there were some aspects of that, they didn’t overshadow any of the main stories. Also the concept of a teen detective is a little cheesy and the story isn’t realistic in that way, it was still a very fun and easy read. I would say anyone thirteen years old and above could read this and this book is in the young adult genre. I would say give this book a chance because it is worth the read.