The Student News Site of Canyon High School

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

How To Maintain a Healthy Relationship While In High School

Tips on how to maintain a healthy relationship while in high school
Courtesy of Forbes

Maintaining a healthy relationship in high school requires a lot of aspects such as communication, trust, respect, and understanding. To have all of these aspects you need to understand what they mean in full detail. Communicating openly is a big part of a good healthy relationship. It includes sharing your thoughts, feelings, and concerns with your partner, and encouraging them to do the same. This can help you both understand where you are mentally and help avoid conflicts in your relationship. 

Setting boundaries is another big part of a relationship. If you and your partner establish clear boundaries and respect each other’s space and individuality, you will tend to fight less because you both will have a very mutual understanding of what is right and wrong to do. You can establish boundaries by just telling your partner when you are comfortable and uncomfortable with something.  Recognizing and respecting each other’s boundaries is very important and beneficial to maintain trust and mutual understanding in a relationship.

Building trust: trust is truly the foundation of any healthy relationship. Being honest about everything, being reliable, being consistent in your actions, and avoiding breaking your partner’s trust will greatly help you and your partner feel more comfortable in the relationship. Respecting each other is another big part that goes into a relationship that includes treating your partner with kindness, empathy, and consideration. This may seem like a small thing but it can make your partner feel wanted and let them know you respect their opinions, choices, and feelings. 

Supporting each other is also a big part of relationships. Being there for your partner through both good times and bad shows that you truly care about them. Just offering encouragement, empathy, and understanding, and celebrating each other’s successes can make a huge difference. Prioritizing self-care is a good thing to do for yourself while in a relationship. Taking care of yourself physically, emotionally, and mentally can help you greatly. Setting aside time for hobbies, interests, and friendships outside of your relationship will help you maintain a healthy balance and will help you feel more individual and free instead of trapped. By prioritizing communication, trust, and respect, you can build a strong and healthy relationship that will make your high school experience more enjoyable.