Making A Comeback

There are many students who have hardships, such as having a sickness, that prevent them from finishing the rest of the school year. Other students don’t acknowledge the challenges they’ve overcome. That’s what makes that student stronger on the inside than they appear to be on the outside. Canyon High School still has fighters like that to this day. Freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and even seniors go through these life experiences.

Emily Metcalf, who is a junior at Canyon, couldn’t finish school last year because of a medical condition called dysautonomia. Metcalf said, “It is an autonomic dysfunction, which essentially means any process that happens in the body without you having to think about it, doesn’t work properly. So, anything from my digestive system to my cardiovascular system is pretty messed up.” Despite the odds, she is now enjoying spending quality time with her friends, and is grateful for gaining another chance on finishing her year at Canyon High School. Metcalf’s story made others aware that not every person is willing to give up because of problems involving health.

Another junior at Canyon, Michelle Ann-Quimbao, has also experienced difficult times. While attending Morgan Middle School in Virginia, she was the victim of bullying. Ann-Quimbao said, “I was often called ‘China’ or ‘Chink’ and I was rudely questioned by many who kept asking, ‘What the heck are you?'” Teenagers would disrespectfully tease her and act with rude behaviors toward her race. However, she did have help to comfort her. But all of that has changed, now that she lives in California. This gives teenagers the awareness to be cautious of people and their judgments.

Not everything is always rainbows and butterflies. People go through things that life will throw at them from out of the blue. It will hurt that person, but the result is a stronger individual.