How to Prepare for the Second Semester (and Beyond)

As the final first semester grades are entered and you take a step back to reflect on what just happened for the past five months you might wonder: “What should I have done differently?” No matter how good your grades might be or how efficient you are with your work, there will always be room for improvement. As a senior here at Canyon, I have had my fair share of ups and downs for the past several years and honestly, I wouldn’t have done it any other way. No individual’s experience will be the same as the next person’s, but here are a few helpful tips on how to generally improve for the second semester (and semesters to come):
  1. Get a Good Night’s Rest

As we grow physically and mentally, sleep will always be a prominent factor in our life that can directly affect our state of well being. Whether you’re on a sports team or after-school club, life can sometimes be restless. This is why it’s important to schedule your sleep schedule accordingly so you can always be up on your feet and prepared for the next day.

1. Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff

Despite what you might think, four years can be a very long time. I hate to break the news, but your bestest friend from freshman year might not make it to the end of your sophomore year and that one biology exam you just flunked might not matter in a couple of months. Learning to accept certain events that might seem like a huge problem to you in the moment (that realistically won’t be remembered by the end of your four years of high school) is the first step to enjoying your time while you’re here. Now, this doesn’t mean to completely disregard all of your responsibilities, it just means to not sweat the small stuff if you know you can recover from it in the long run.

1. Make a Schedule and Stick to It

With classes, sports, social events, and other activities going on in your life it might be stressful to figure outhow to manage your time. The first key to doing this is by knowing your priorities. Ask yourself, “What will I not have time for once I’m out of high school,” “What will affect my state of well-being right now,” and “Will this prevent me from doing what I want to do in the future?” Whatever your priorities may be, make a schedule for it and stick to it.

1. Work for What You Want

Whether it’s attending an Ivy League University or enrolling straight to a community college, it is important to remember that you’re working for what YOU want. Regardless of what your friends are doing or what your parents’ dream goals for you are, keep your personal endeavors in mind and don’t expect to achieve that goal without the work that is required to get to it.

1. Have Fun

As cliche of a tip this is, it’s probably the most important one on this list. During my middle years of high school I found myself over-filling my schedule with homework, studying, and sleeping. This might seem like the norm to some students, but a major key in being able to have fun in the midst of your academics is to know your boundaries. Be in tune with yourself and figure out if what you’re doing is positively affecting your mind and body. This could go from over-working to not working at all. Listening to my body and letting myself take classes fit for me this year has improved my well-being drastically. I am able to fit in my academics with my personal activities and most importantly, I’m having fun too.