How to Gain Motivation

Image Courtesy of Google Images

Jillian Para, Writer

As each school year approaches November, the beginning of the year motivation is slowly starting to wear off. The start of a new school year is exciting and creates a new strive in students to get their work done early and give it their all. At some point in the year, students hit a roadblock. They begin to lack motivation and do the absolute minimum effort in hopes they can still get a passing grade. This is a normal occurrence with many students, but there is a way to put a stop to it.

Motivation is what pushes people towards their goal and creates ambition. Motivation creates a determination to succeed and get through situations when life gets tough. When lacking this drive to get things done, it can seem hard or almost impossible to jump back into reality. 

There are two types of motivation: positive and negative. Positive motivation is focusing on the good outcomes of getting a task done. Negative motivation is focusing on the bad fallout due to the result of not getting a task done. 

Image Courtesy of Google Images

Each type of motivation may affect someone different, but many believe that one can become more productive if there is a want to get a task done, rather than just wanting to avoid a negative outcome.  

One of the most important steps to gain motivation is very common knowledge, yet is constantly being avoided; setting goals! When setting a goal, it creates a choice to act on a task that will ensure a resolution. Goals help shape the path that will lead to a measurable endpoint for a student. When creating a goal, it should be wanted and achievable. To increase the likelihood that the goal will be achieved, try writing it down or telling another student. This method works because it is similar to making a promise or keeping your word. 

If the set goal seems too daunting, try breaking it up and set smaller tasks to make the big goal less intimidating. With this method, creating rewards for achieving these small tasks will make the process more fun and drive motivation. 

Coping Strategies When Lacking Motivation:

• Listen to music
  • Get enough sleep
  • Eat a healthy snack 
  • Meditate 
  • Ask for a break

When stressed by a large task, these coping strategies may help relieve tension and build motivation, so you can continue on.

Listening to music is a great way to take your mind off a stressful situation and help you relax. Make sure it’s calm music that is unlikely to increase your heart rate. 

Getting enough sleep is one of the greatest difficulties students struggle with. Getting as much as an hour more of sleep will take tension off the body and make you feel better overall. This will help improve focus in order to become more motivated.

Image Courtesy of Google Images

Eating a healthy snack can satisfy you and give you a sense of accomplishment, even if you are not hungry. It can also be used as a “pick-me-up” and create more energy.

Meditation is a great method to help with stress or anxiety. It can take only three to ten minutes to get back into a calm state.

If feelings of lack of motivation creep over during school, asking for a small break can help gain your focus back. Asking to use the restroom or to walk around the school clears your mind and will result in positive outcomes. If this is a strategy that works best, then consider letting your teacher know. Most teachers will be understanding, especially if it can improve students’ academics.  

Using these strategies will help you gain motivation and stay motivated on tasks throughout the school year. Head towards your goals and you will succeed.

If you or someone you know is struggling to find motivation and can not seem to find hope after trying these strategies, check out the article on this website: Mental Health in High Schools.