Emily LeMaster: Student of the Month and Anchor on the Comanche Insider Interview

Nadia Harman, Writer

You may have seen her standing in the rain on the Comanche Insider reporting the sports of the week or even behind the famous Comanche insider desk anchoring but to some people Emily LeMaster is a friend and talented student. LeMaster is a junior here at Canyon High School and  is a part of Canyon’s amazing broadcast team and advanced art video production class. She won student of the month for December for being an outstanding student in her film classes. She was very excited at the opportunity to be the one getting interviewed for CHS news instead of her usual role behind or in front of the camera interviewing students herself. 

Q: What got you into film and why did you continue to do it?

A: My freshman year I took Career Focus: Arts Media. Mrs. Mullings class was primarily on graphic design and Photoshop. In middle school, I took graphic design and Photoshop but then in high school I realized that I like doing film. I think it happened when I went to Universal Studios and went on their studio tour. Everything I saw on the tour I thought, this is so cool I want to do this – I’m going to sign up for film classes in high school and that’s what I did. 

Q: Favorite part about any of your film classes? 

A: During Halloween time on the broadcast we did a segment where we painted pumpkins. I was behind the scenes asking all the questions and it was really fun watching everyone’s reactions and how they painted the pumpkins. Another one was the weather report when it was raining, although I got soaking wet and I yelled in the rain, it was a lot of fun. 

Q: When did you first join the class? 

A:  I joined Sophomore year. 

Q: When you first joined the class, what did you initially liked about it?

A:  The vibe, It was chill. I was never stressed in that class. Mr. Graham’s a really cool dude which I think helps a lot. We got to watch movies. During finals he was like just relax and we also got a lot of freedom to make what we want to. 

Q: Who is your inspiration?

A: That’s a hard question. Honestly, Post Malone. He has so much fun when I see videos of him performing he looks like he’s having such a good time and he loves what he does. I like his music, I like his crocs. He just has fun, he loves what he does. I aspire to be happy like that. 

Q: Favorite movie as of right now?

A: 10 Things I Hate About You. 

Q: If you could be a movie character who would you be? 

A: I want to say Ferris Bueller but I’m not a slacker so I’ll say Buddy the Elf. 

Q: Favorite song that makes you happy? 

A: I really like Sanctuary by Joji.

Q: Favorite film project you’ve ever done? 

A: The one I had the most fun on was the pumpkins one.

Q: Advice you would give to someone who is thinking about joining one of these classes?

A: Honestly, advice wise I would say try your best even if your first film is really bad. It’s all about growing; you just have to figure out what you like about it and something specific and stick to it. Don’t be in it doing something you don’t like, like lighting or editing. Like for instance, I’m not huge on editing so I try and not edit as much as possible. I like filming, holding the camera, having it. I like directing and screenwriting.  

Q: Favorite part about working on the Comanche Insider?

A: Having the freedom to make something that the whole school will watch. I know it’s not just my mom watching or Mr. Graham, it’s the whole school. The hard work pays off because people come up to me and their like “Oh I saw you on the Broadcast” or “Your segment was good.” That makes me so happy that it makes other people happy.

Q: Least Favorite movie

A: Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2. That movie was so bad. 

Q: If you could pick someone famous to play you in a story of your life who would you choose? 

A: Emma Roberts. 

Q: What’s something on the Comanche Insider that only behind the scenes people would know?

A: I know I said we have a lot of freedom but, everyone gets mad at us for putting the travel segments on there but it’s not our choice. Some things we just have to put on their and people don’t realize how little time we have. Some weeks we only have two days. We also have to keep in mind that we’re filming the week before. For sports, we’re filming the week before not the same week so it gets confusing. Time is our biggest problem, if we had more time it would be way better. An hour and a half seems like a long time for a class period but when you have to get a camera and plan everything out, you have to spend two weeks of one class planning, filming and then another class editing everything and getting it out there. 

Q: How does it feel being student of the month for December?

A: It was funny, I was sitting in English class and I was like well I’ve never got it and my teacher was like you got it and I read the paper it was on and I had a big smile on my face. It really matters for film because I want to pursue it as a career. I know it’s not academically important but it’s one of my favorite classes. 

Q: Any final words of advice?

A: Whatever you do make sure you’re making the right choice for you and not anyone else. I something makes you happy that’s kind of weird you go for happiness.