Comanches and the Vaccine Mandate

Gabriel Lopez, Writer

Vaccine Mandate, Yes or No?

In the recent months, there has been ample debate about government mandates of the various Covid-19 vaccines. California Governor Gavin Newsom has said: “The state already requires that students are vaccinated against viruses that cause measles, mumps, and rubella – there’s no reason why we wouldn’t do the same for COVID-19…” (Newsom). With various public officials like Newsom, advocating for Covid-19 vaccination mandates, many are protesting such a measure. Some Southern California parents are staging walkouts to protest the school mandated vaccines, as well as wider national protests. Clearly the vaccine mandate and the effectiveness of vaccines is divisive and murky in its details. 

Many Comanches feel directly affected by these mandates, whether it be because of school, our jobs, or other family members. Many concur that we should get the vaccine, but believe a government mandate is an overstep of government authority.  

… I understand why people want the mandate … But I think a mandate wouldn’t be the best option simply because I believe it’s people’s choice if they truly want to get it…– Andrew Stanley, Comanche Senior.

However, some others believe that the government has the full right to mandate a vaccine and that we should all follow for the good of society and so we can completely go back to normal. 

“Even if at the moment a lot of people see this as the “end” of the pandemic, I see it as necessary if any of us want thing to be able to go back to normal” – Faith Stanton, Comanche Senior.

Stanton had this to add when she was asked whether or not a mandate was an overstep of government authority. 

Not really, since the government can do this with other vaccines, even if COVID is seen as less deadly. The fact is that even if Covid isn’t as deadly as, say, measles, it’s still infectious enough to cause a pandemic, and that’s an issue that needs to be dealt with.” – Faith Stanton, Comanche Senior.

An anonymous Comanche junior said,

“… I know they have their reasons for doing it, I’m sure some people are very happy with it, but I think we should just follow it because they wouldn’t be doing it for no reason.”- Anonymous, Comanche Junior

However, not everyone thinks that the government should be able to mandate vaccines, many believe that it should be up to businesses or schools to mandate a vaccine based on their own circumstances. 

“I think it’s kind of an overstep, at least for kids because they say kids are underisk for covid…” – Quentin Rivest, Comanche Junior.

Comanches seem to have varying opinions on this subject, and while most Comanches agree we should get the vaccine, but there seems to be a wider debate on the government’s role in the vaccine rollout. This debate is nationwide and impacts the lives of everyone in the country in one way or another and everyone seems to have different opinions on it, as can be seen at our school. These are the important issues and varying opinions that are seen everywhere from the government to the hallways of Canyon