Students Aren’t Getting Enough Sleep – How Does it Impact Canyon High School?

Though school has been pushed back by an hour, on September 20th, students at Canyon High School have been reported to not getting enough sleep, due to the adrenaline in their body constantly going, and the homework that keeps them up at night. Though many hoped that this problem would be solved from delaying school to 8:30, this only causes school to end later, making students at Canyon High School do homework later into the night. 

As it was previously stated in an article from “The Conversation”, stating that young students, “need more than nine hours of daily sleep to be physically and mentally healthy” (School start times and screen time late in the evening exacerbate sleep deprivation in US teenagers, 2022), students need to be getting more hours of sleep per night. However, many are facing only 4-5 hours of sleep per night, and this is due to the fact that many have a lot of homework that keeps them up at night. Though the school start time has been pushed back by an hour, this means that school ends later now as well, causing Canyon High School students to get home later, which ends up having them sleep at later times. 

Though, it would be important to note that homework is not the only factor that attributes to these sleeping habits. Going back to an article by “The Conversation”, there is a “wakefulness factor” as well as a “biological clock”. The article paragraph focuses on the fact that “both the wakefulness factor and the biological clock conspire to delay the timing of sleep.” (School start times and screen time late in the evening exacerbate sleep deprivation in US teenagers, 2022) So, it is not just homework, but rather the way that teenagers’ sleep movements work as well. 

Many students at Canyon High School have expressed their own frustration with not being able to get enough sleep. However, this problem has seemingly been popular with many, many high school students. Majority of high school students that are asked whether or not they get enough sleep will likely answer with a “no”. With the stress of getting work done and making it all correct, it is not easy for students to be able to get nine hours of sleep every night. However, the power of sleep is so important. Referencing back to the source from The Conversation, getting enough sleep will be able to benefit students in the way that it will help their performance in school, and even help them with their mental health. Hopefully, more solutions are found in the near future that help students everywhere be able to get enough sleep or at least go from 4-5 hours of sleep to 7 hours a night.

Bibliography/Sources:

Horacio de la Iglesia. Sep 16, 2022. School start times and screen time late in the evening exacerbate sleep deprivation in US teenagers. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/school-start-times-and-screen-time-late-in-the-evening-exacerbate-sleep-deprivation-in-us-teenagers-179178