The Student News Site of Canyon High School

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

Smoke Signals

The OC Street Fair

The 50th annual International Street Fair at the Orange Circle
Courtesy of livingmividaloca.com

With the exciting three-day weekend that Labor Day brings,  students look forward to this federal holiday. But, if you’re from Orange County, this holiday weekend also means that the international street fair at the Orange Circle is back! 

Once you arrive, you are surrounded by a huge crowd of people. Everyone has food or a drink in their hand and you can’t help but want to try it all! To find these irresistible foods and beverages, they are organized by country. In each country’s area, there are booths with food from that country. To name a few, there are Corn Dogs and tater tots in Australia, corn on the cob and funnel cakes in America, Fish and Chips in England, and Italian ice and pizza in Italy, which is always my personal favorite. 

There are a total of fourteen countries with multiple booths in each country. There’s also a collection of eight stages featuring live entertainment found in basically every corner of the circle, and the music style usually correlates with the country it’s next to.

If you’re someone who likes to shop, there is a circle of booths selling handmade arts and crafts, such as jewelry, hats, clothes, accessories, art, candles, and so much more in the center. 

In the midst of these handmade craft booths, is a booth where you can get a henna tattoo with any design you would like. Surrounding that, there is another circle of booths showcasing local small businesses and community organizations. 

To make things even more crowded, the main stage is in the corner of this center area. There’s a huge crowd of people surrounding the stage, who are dancing while live music is being played. If you want to avoid the crowds and enjoy some A/C on this hot weekend, most of the usual shops and stores in the circle stay open during the street fair.

For the kids and their families who aren’t as interested in shopping or trying all the different foods and drinks, there is a kid’s street. They have a variety of games, crafts, face paint, and even a bouncy house. There is also a kids’ stage with family-friendly performances. The international street fair is something I look forward to every year, and it’s definitely worth the trip!